Effective Date: December 14, 2016
- What Information Do We Collect?
- How Do We Use Information?
- With Whom Do We Share Information?
- Do Not Track Browser Signals and Advertising Choices
- Third-Party Websites
- How Do You Access or Correct Your Information?
- How Long Do We Keep Your Data?
- How Do You Choose What Information We Collect and Use?
- How Do We Protect Your Personal Information?
- Children’s Privacy
- How Do We Make Changes to This Policy?
- How to Contact Us?
What Information Do We Collect?
We may collect Personal Information, including Sensitive Data, and other information from your usage of our Service. The types of information we collect depend on the nature of Your interaction with us.
For the purposes of this Policy, “Personal Information” means individually identifiable information that would allow us to determine the actual identity of, and contact, a specific living person.
Sensitive Data includes information, comments or content (e.g. photographs, video, profile, lifestyle) that you optionally provide that may reveal your ethnic origin, nationality, religion and/or sexual orientation. We will seek your consent to the collection, use and disclosure of Sensitive Data as required by applicable privacy laws. We may also collect your geolocation information with your consent.
Information You Provide:
- Service Forms & Preferences. Our Service can be browsed anonymously. However, to engage in certain special features or functions of our Service, You may be asked to provide certain Personal Information, such as Your name, email address and demographic information. You may provide preferences such as preferred language and marketing consent. You may also create a user account or profile and provide profile information, for example, photographs You upload, as well as Your interests, marital status, height, weight and occupation.
- Payment Information. We may collect Your financial information for Paid Memberships or Paid Features, such as your payment method (valid credit card number, type, expiration date or other financial information).
- Customer Support Center. We or a Service Provider operate an electronic customer support center to accept and address Your questions, concerns, or complaints. When You contact our customer support center, we may ask for Information to help us respond to Your inquiry or to verify Your identity. We may also monitor or record Your online or telephone discussions with our customer support representatives for training purposes and to ensure service quality.
Information Collected Automatically:
- Cookies. The Service uses “cookies,” a technology that installs a small amount of information on a Service user’s computer to permit the Service to recognize future visits using that computer. Cookies enhance the convenience and use of the Service. For example, the information provided through cookies is used to recognize You as a previous user of the Service, to offer personalized Web page content and information for Your use, and to otherwise facilitate Your Service experience. You may choose to decline cookies if Your browser permits, but doing so may affect Your use of the Service and Your ability to access certain features of the Service or engage in transactions through the Service. To opt-out of cookies that may be set by third party data or advertising partners, please go to http://www.aboutads.info/choices/.
- Service Tracking Information. Our Service may track Your usage of our Service, including Your IP address, device ID and related mobile device information, date and time of access, Your operating system and Internet browser, the portions of the Service you visit or download and the Internet address of the web site from which You linked directly to our Service.
We may use web beacons, pixel tags, local storage or other technologies that facilitate personalization to track Service user demographics, Service traffic patterns, and Service purchases. We may also utilize Google Analytics in the collection, compilation and analysis of tracking information across multiple devices. More information on Google Analytics may be found at http://www.google.com/analytics, as amended by Google from time to time.
Mobile Applications and Location Data
If You use any mobile device to access our site or download any of our applications, we may also collect device information (such as Your mobile device ID, model and manufacturer).
If You use the POF Android application, You are asked to give the App permission to obtain information regarding which applications are stored on Your device, their activity on Your device, and which apps are running, in order to learn more about You and Your preferences, as part of POF’s algorithm for finding matches and providing you more relevant advertisements. By accepting the requested permissions before installation, You acknowledge and understand that the program performs these functions and agree to this, and You understand that You can withdraw Your consent at any time by uninstalling the POF Android application.
Information From Other Sources
From time to time we may supplement information You give us with information from other sources, such as information validating Your address or other available information You have provided us. This is to help us maintain the accuracy of the information we collect and to help us provide better services and user experience.
How Do We Use Information?
In General. We may use Your information for a number of different business purposes, for example to:
- create and display Your online dating profile to other users of the Service;
- show other users when You have viewed their profiles;
- compare Your profile and preferences with that of other users to provide both You and other users with potential matches;
- provide customer support to assist You with Your questions or complaints;
- conduct surveys in order to improve our services;
- advise You of changes to our services, or new services that we may implement from time to time;
- measure and improve the effectiveness of our Service or our marketing endeavors;
- detect and protect against fraud and error;
- track and analyze Your preferences to better understand Your service needs and eligibility;
- perform research and analysis about your use of, or interest in, our or others’ products, services, or content;
- communicate with you by email, postal mail, telephone and/or mobile devices about products or services that may be of interest to you either from us or other third parties;
- develop, display, and track content and advertising tailored to your interests on our Service and other sites, including providing our advertisements to you when you visit other sites;
- Service analytics; and
- for other purposes as described in this Policy.
Matching. From time to time we will use some elements of Your Personal Information (such as Your personal preferences or Your profile information) to generate and send You a list of possible matches from among our other users.
Job applicants. If your Personal Information is submitted when applying for a position with our company, the information will be used solely in connection with considering and acting upon your application. We may retain your Personal Information, but only for the purpose of considering your application for current or future available positions. This information, which may include your name and contact information, prior education and experience, and other information you provide to us, may be shared with third-party service providers retained by us to collect, maintain and analyze candidate submissions for job postings.
In all circumstances, we may perform these functions directly or use a third party vendor to perform these functions on our behalf who will be obligated to use your personal information only to perform services for us. Also, if you access our Service from a third party social platform, such as Facebook, we may share non-personal information with that platform to the extent permitted by your agreement with it and its privacy settings.
With Whom Do We Share Information?
Personal Information. In the normal course of business we act as the data controller and processer, but we may share some of Your Personal Information with our affiliates and with third parties acting on our behalf or as permitted or required by applicable privacy laws.
- Service Providers. We may use third party service providers (for example, web hosting providers, data management providers and/or payment processers) to manage one of more aspects of our business operations, including the processing or handing of Personal Information. When we do use an outside company, we use contractual or other appropriate means to ensure that Your Personal Information is used in a manner that is consistent with this Policy.
- Payment Data. By registering for a for-fee service and providing Your credit card details, the Service will use the credit card information You provide to bill You for goods and services. By providing Your credit card details to us, You consent to and authorize us to provide Your credit card details to payment processors and financial institutions as necessary to process Your payment.
- Legal Disclosure. We may disclose Your information as permitted or required by law. For example, we may be compelled to release information by a court of law or other person or entity with jurisdiction to compel production of such information, consistent with applicable privacy laws. If we have reasonable grounds to believe information could be useful in the investigation of improper or unlawful activity, we may disclose information to law enforcement agencies or other appropriate investigative bodies.
- Advertising Campaigns. To supplement our Service, we rely on advertisers who wish to serve advertisements to some or all of our users on our Services and/or other websites (“Campaigns”). We may use elements of Your Personal Information to create a list of users that advertisers may want to direct their Campaigns to. Advertisers may decide to serve advertisements to all of our users (“General Campaigns”), or to send messages to specific segments of our user base (“Direct Campaigns”) based on particular personal characteristics (for example, age, sex or geographic location). In the case of Direct Campaigns, we may use different elements of Your personal preferences to develop and display advertising content tailored to Your preferences.
Aggregated Information. We may share aggregated, Non-Personal Information, or Personal Information in hashed, non-human readable form, including IP address and information about You, Your computer or device, browser or operating system, with third parties, including advisors, advertisers and investors, for the purpose of conducting general business analysis, advertising, marketing, or other business purposes. For example, we may engage a data provider who may collect web log data from You (including IP address and information about Your browser or operating system), or place or recognize a unique cookie on Your browser to enable You to receive customized ads or content, on Our Services, on the websites or online services of other Match Group Businesses, or on third party websites or online services. The cookies may reflect de-identified demographic or other data linked to data You voluntarily submitted to us (such as Your email address), that we may share with a data provider solely in hashed, non-human readable form. To opt-out of cookies that may be set by third party data or advertising partners, please visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices/.
If you are visiting from the European Union or other regions with laws governing data collection and use, please note that you are agreeing to the transfer of your personal data, including sensitive data, by us from your region to countries which do not have data protection laws that provide the same level of protection that exists in countries in the European Economic Area, including the United States. By providing your personal information, you consent to any transfer and processing in accordance with this Policy.
Do Not Track Browser Signals and Advertising Choices
Advertising Opt-Out. Some third-party advertising companies with whom we partner may be advertising networks that are members of the Network Advertising Initiative, which offers a single location to opt out of ad targeting from member companies and provides information about this behavioral advertising practice (www.networkadvertising.org).
Our Service may contain links to other websites or Internet resources which are provided solely for Your convenience and information. When You click on one of those links You are contacting another website or Internet resource. We have no responsibility or liability for, or control over, those other websites or Internet resources or their collection, use and disclosure of Your Personal Information. We encourage You to read the privacy policies of those other websites to learn how they collect and use Your Personal Information.
How Do I Access or Correct my Personal Information?
Applicable privacy laws may allow any individual the right to access and/or request the correction of errors or omissions in his or her Personal Information that is in our custody or under our control. Our Privacy Officer will assist the individual with the access request. This includes:
- identification of Personal Information under our custody or control; and
- information about how Personal Information under our control may be or has been used by us.
We will respond to requests within the time allowed by applicable privacy laws and will make every effort to respond as accurately and completely as possible. Any corrections made to Personal Information will be promptly sent to any organization it was disclosed to.
In certain exceptional circumstances, we may not be able to provide access to certain Personal Information it holds about an individual. For security purposes, not all Personal Information is accessible and amendable by the Privacy Officer. If access or corrections cannot be provided, we will notify the individual making the request within 30 days, in writing, of the reasons for the refusal.
How Long Do We Keep Your Data?
We keep Your information only as long as we need it for legitimate business purposes and as permitted by applicable legal requirements. In Canada, Personal Information used to make a decision that directly affects an individual will be kept for at least one year after such a decision. We have retention standards that meet these parameters.
How Do You Choose What Information We Collect and Use?
Your Consent. When You choose to provide us with Your Personal Information You consent to the use of Your Personal Information as identified in this Policy and as may be further identified at the time of collection.
Withdrawing Your Consent. You may notify us at any time that You wish to withdraw or change Your consent to our use and disclosure of Your information. We will accommodate Your request subject to legal and contractual restrictions.
Turning Off Notifications. Should You no longer wish to receive notifications from the Service when You receive a message from another Service user or when another user adds You as a favorite, You may turn these notifications off through Mail Settings (http://www.pof.com/mailsettings). The Service will not send You notifications after Your account is deleted.
How Do We Protect Your Personal Information?
The Service limits access to your personal information. We have physical, electronic, and administrative procedures in place to protect and help prevent unauthorized access and use of personal information.
No data transmissions through the Internet or via mobile devices, or even the physical transfer of information, can be guaranteed to be completely secure. We cannot fully eliminate all security risks associated with personal information. We do not ensure or warrant the security of any data or information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk.
You agree that we may communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues, such as security breaches. We may post a notice on our Service if a security breach occurs. We may also send an email to you at the email address you have provided to us.
Although our Service is a general audience website, we restrict the use of our service to individuals age 18 and above. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under the age of 13.
How to Contact Us?
Questions or concerns regarding this Policy may be directed to the Privacy Officer, Kate Manolis, at [email protected]
Plentyoffish Media ULC
142-757 West Hastings. PMB 670,
Vancouver, V6C 1A1